SHE-Q Program Manager
Inspired by the need to create a safe working environment in an industry where hazardous conditions are common? Able to instigate change and get strategic plans off the ground in a complex, global organization? On behalf of Boskalis, we are looking for a SHE-Q Program Manager.
Ensuring every employee returns from work safely each and every day is at the heart of this job. If you’re an experienced health & safety manager with a background in behavioral-based safety programs and an affinity for the maritime industry, we are looking for you!
Boskalis as your new employer
Boskalis is the leading dredging contractor and marine services provider in the world. It provides innovative and competitive all-round solutions for stakeholders in ports, offshore energy, maritime and inland infrastructure markets.
Their shared value focus areas recognize Boskalis’ capability to create economic value while addressing societal needs and challenges. The aim is to advance societal contribution to these shared value focus areas and strengthen the business at the same time:
- Energy transition: working to advance the energy transition will help facilitate the move to renewable energy sources, whilst creating value for our clients and our business.
- Climate Change Adaptation: Boskalis’ core business, including coastal defense and riverbank protection activities, enables them to provide innovative solutions to help the world adapt to climate change.
- Salvage and marine ecosystem protection: the importance of their salvage operations from a sustainability perspective is gaining external recognition. Through their work to salvage vessels, they help protect economic value and avert environmental damage.
The company has over 100 years’ experience in hydraulic engineering, coastal protection and land reclamation. As a result, it offers its clients a unique combination of experts, vessels and services while maintaining the highest of safety and sustainability standards.
Boskalis, which operates in 90 countries and across six continents, has a versatile fleet of more than 600 vessels and floating equipment. The head office is in Papendrecht, Netherlands, and there is an extensive network of branches around the world.
Traditionally, dredging has been Boskalis’ core activity, but today it offers a wide variety of services, including:
- ports and waterways construction and maintenance
- land reclamation, coastal defense and riverbank protection
- dry and wet heavy marine transportation
- offshore windfarm installation
- subsea construction and seabed intervention
- oil and LNG import/export facilities decommissioning
- emergency response, salvage and wreck removal
Boskalis has over 10,000 experts with a wide range of disciplines, from hydraulic, civil and marine engineering to ecology, morphology, geology, geophysics and marine biology. Each expert understands that delivering a project safely, on time and within budget demands professionalism, trust, teamwork and close cooperation. Therefore, their specialisms are bolstered by key competences such as project management, operations and risk management. Staff training and development are major priorities at Boskalis.
Although Boskalis operates worldwide, it concentrates on regions that have the highest growth expectations for the energy and ports markets. This approach gives the company a solid business foundation and the flexibility to meet a demand that is driven by energy consumption, global trade, a growing world population and climate change concerns.
Your role as SHE-Q Program Manager
As SHE-Q Program Manager, you will work in the Corporate SHE-Q department, which currently employs four active program managers, two quality & audit specialists, and one support & team assistant. You will report directly to the Corporate Director SHE-Q.
The wider SHE-Q organization of Boskalis resides in the three divisions within Boskalis— Dredging & Inland Infra, Offshore Energy and Salvage with each having their own SHE-Q departments. Some of their staff work at divisional level, others at business unit level, within the Projects and on vessels.
At Boskalis, safety is front and center. Therefore, the SHE-Q Program Manager has a crucial role to play. You will be helping to ensure to a safe working environment for all your colleagues worldwide. A key responsibility will be implementing the behavioral-based NINA safety program and, in doing so, improving safety consciousness throughout the organization’s global divisions.
The NINA safety program—which stands for No Injuries, No Accidents—was designed by Boskalis to improve the company’s safety culture and reach its goal of an incident-free working environment. At its heart are five core values and five rules that encourage all employees to be aware of their own safety responsibilities, to act if they deem operations to be unsafe, and to approach others who may be at risk.
Health and safety risks differ from project to project and from location to location, so it is vital that each employee is given the right tools to assess the risks, take appropriate measures and communicate them to all involved. Consequently, you will be expected to co-develop a long-term, company-wide SHE-Q strategy.
Other responsibilities and duties will include:
- Guiding the company’s, SHE-Q processes, culture and consciousness
- Developing and promoting the NINA safety program
- Organizing and providing training, workshops and meetings
- Visiting projects and advising management on SHE-Q topics
- Monitoring and implementing international SHE-Q trends
- Implementing new SHE-Q program tools across the company
You will be given the freedom to use your initiative and to tackle projects as you see fit, while keeping colleagues in the loop and using them as sounding boards.
You’re a people person who can communicate at all staffing levels, from executive directors to on-site employees. You can also communicate with people from other cultures and navigate the complexities of a global organization. Being part of a large and well-respected company that is making a positive impact makes you proud.
Your capacity to connect with people will serve to create company-wide support for the SHE-Q programs that you’ll be promoting and implementing. Convincing others of the importance of the company’s safety programs depends on your ability to persuade and lead by example.
You’re a good listener and curious by nature. You have a genuine interest in others and their work, and you have an affinity with the maritime industry. Most importantly, you’re willing to accept responsibility for strategically importantprojects and be an all-round SHE-Q ambassador for Boskalis.
In addition, you have:
- a relevant bachelor’s degree (preferably in safety management);
- experience with behavioral-based safety programs;
- experience with program and change management;
- at least 8 years of SHE-Q experience;
- experience working for an international organization;
- a willingness to travel.
What is Boskalis offering you?
Working at Boskalis is about creating new horizons for its stakeholders. As SHE-Q Program Manager, you’ll be helping the company continue its mission to find innovative, relevant and sustainable solutions for complex infrastructural and marine projects. In short, you are being offered a job which has a lot of positive impact.
In addition to a competitive salary and benefits such as 26 annual leave days, 5-6 allocated days off, a non-contributory pension scheme and an expense allowance, you’ll be able to choose between a mobility budget and lease car. You’ll also be given the freedom to pursue your interests and create your own career path within the organization.